Friday 2 August 2013

Accidents will happen!!

Hmmmm! Sadly not quite the summer holidays we had planned this year!!

At 7ish o'clock on Saturday 20th July I received the worst phone call I've ever had. K, now 13, frantically informing me that H had had an accident! My freshly poured Pimms was quickly abandoned...all I knew was that he had a big cut after falling off his bike, there was lots of blood and that my Ex had called an ambulance and that she was obviously very distressed by it all!!

There are many times that I have cursed that my ex and I only live in the next village to each other but that night I was truly grateful, the fact that they were on they're way to the pub we were in made it even better!!

The time it took to get to H's side felt like an eternity, a lot of what happened is still hazy but I could not of imagined the feelings that go through your head whilst waiting for the Paramedics to arrive...hurry the f*** up being top of the list!!

To cut a long story short H is one very lucky boy, after 2.5 hours surgery he was back on the ward, having, amazingly, done no lasting damage (his wound missed all manner of things that would have been life changing)!!

After an eventful week in hospital, severe drug reaction included, we came home, just the car journey wore him out and he still had to face the stairs!! 

The whole experience has been a massive lesson to me and my family! Mr W was an absolute rock, he was everything I needed him to be, strong, sensitive and organised enough to take over the things that were beyond my control-freakish ways whilst confined to a cubicle!! (He even gave the ex a lift home after H was out of surgery...). K very quickly accepted that she would not be going away, and without any drama, changed her countdown on her iPhone to Lanzarote in October! She mother-hens H in my absence, confirming that she does really care about him and has actually been remarkably pleasant through the whole thing! H, being forced to abandon his dog-like approach to life (see previous blog) was a star in hospital and although quite obviously bored and frustrated by everything remains up beat and cheerful (until the end of the day when it all becomes too much for him). I have learnt that I do NOT like being the other side of the hospital bed, that life is incredibly precious, that I need to work out how to move forward now, flashbacks and what-ifs still haunt me, that its true what they say about finding out who your real friends are in times of crisis and that the ordeal has strengthened my love for my children and husband!!

Each day sees H a little stronger and we are hoping he will be right as rain to start high school in September!!

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment